The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has been very active during the COVID-19 pandemic, and now, more than ever, your dealership is at risk of an OSHA inspection. This pandemic has given OSHA additional opportunities to enforce existing rules, to ensure that employers are providing safe and healthy workplaces for their employees, and to cite employers who are in violation.
Through November 19, 2020, the proposed penalties from citations have totaled $3,301,932, and that number will continue to grow until COVID-19 is no longer considered a national emergency. Thus far, the most commonly found health and safety violations are failures to:
- Implement a written respiratory protection program
- Provide a medical evaluation, respirator fit test, training on the proper use of a respirator, and personal protective equipment
- Report an injury, illness, or fatality
- Record an injury or illness on OSHA recordkeeping forms
- Comply with the General Duty Clause of the Occupation Safety and Health Act of 1970
To avoid COVID-19 citations, it is imperative that your dealership:
- Understand its obligations
- Adopt and implement the appropriate polices procedures
- Provide appropriate training
- Conduct the proper training of employees
- Solicit and address employee concerns
- Know the ins-and-outs of recording and reporting
- Hold routine safety meetings
- Document your efforts to comply
Understand your obligations and comply with the OSHA standards before it is too late. Citations can be costly and can put your dealership under OSHA’s spotlight for years to come.
ABOUT COMPLYNET: Founded in 1994, ComplyNet has emerged as an automotive industry leader in compliance and risk mitigation solutions in the area of Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S), Sales, Finance, Information Security, and Human Resources. ComplyNet combines its on-site services and its intuitive software-as-a-solution services to help dealerships, service centers, and body shops reduce risk, achieve compliance, and retain talent. ComplyNet serves dealers across the United States, including multiple dealership groups in the top 150. To learn more about ComplyNet, please visit www.complynet.com or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.